EAST BLUE HILL

Esther E. Wood, died peacefully at her home at Friend’s Corner, East Blue Hill, Dec. 1, 2002. She was born Sept. 2, 1905, in Blue Hill, the daughter of John Friend Wood and Lizzie Maddocks Wood.

She began her education at the Friend’s Corner School, which is still standing, going on to graduate from George Stevens Academy, Class of 1922, and from Colby College, Class of 1926, with Phi Beta Kappa honors. Esther’s teaching career was a very full and rewarding one. From 1926-1928 she first taught in Stonington High School. Later in 1928, Esther attended Radcliffe College and graduated with a master’s degree. In 1929, she taught at Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield, Mass. From 1930-1972, Esther taught at Gorham Normal School, Gorham State Teacher’s College, Gorham State College and the University of Southern Maine, these all being on the same campus grounds. In 1936, she interrupted her Gorham teaching for a second year of study at Radcliffe.

During her lifetime, she had many honors bestowed upon her, which included being the assistant Dean of Women from 1934-1941 and Dean of Women from 1941-1945 at Gorham. In 1972, Esther received an honorary degree from Colby College. In June 1987, she received the Maine School Superintendents Association Award “In appreciation for Distinctive Service to Education in Maine.” Esther won the Blue Hill Woman of the Year Award in 1985, the Community Service Award from the University of Southern Maine Alumni Association in 1991, and the Maine Federation Business and Professional Women’s Club “Maine Women’s Hall of Fame Award” in 1994.

A very busy schedule never kept Esther from being an active participant as a trustee for George Stevens Academy, secretary and charter member of the Jonathan Fisher Memorial, member of the local Cemetery Association, member of the State Cemetery Association, and a member of the Blue Hill Garden Club. A columnist for The Ellsworth American for 24 years, she wrote “The Native” column, and she also wrote articles for various magazines and periodicals throughout the years.  She was a member of the Blue Hill Historical Society and the Blue Hill Baptist Church, was the author of four books, “Country Fare,” “Hannah,” “Saltwater Seasons” and “Deep Roots,” and in 1998, she was made an honorary member of the Kollegewidgwok Yacht Club. Esther kept a daily journal from 1973 through nearly all of 2002, following the example of her mother who kept a daily journal from 1893 to 1971. She will be remembered most for her love and devotion to dogs.

A funeral service was held Dec. 4 at the Blue Hill Baptist Church, with the Rev. Paul Comeau officiating. Interment was in Seaside Cemetery, Blue Hill. In lieu of flowers, Esther requested that donations in her memory be made to the First Baptist Church, Blue Hill, the Jonathan Fisher Memorial, Blue Hill; or the S.P.C.A., Southwest Harbor. Arrangements by Healey Funeral Home, South Street, Blue Hill.

   
   
This site and all contents there in are the exclusive property of Ellsworth American, Inc.  Reproduction without permission is strictly forbidden, for more information contact [email protected]